In closing this discussion lets summarise the key aspects of God’s voice manifested as the inner witness. Enjoy.
- A born again believer, with a regenerated spirit living in submission to the word of God is secure in trusting his conscience as the spirit of God speaks to him.
- Because the conscience can be defiled, we need to learn to keep a tender conscience. Paul says “I am diligent to keep my conscience clean and without offence before God and before man.” Because once we keep a tender conscience, we will be led by the spirit of God
- Don’t worry if it’s you because it’s you. Your spirit is you, you are a spirit being. God can speak to you through your spirit and your spirit speaks to you through your conscience. It is legitimate. And yes, of course it is you.
- The inward witness is the holy spirit quickening your human spirit
- The inward witness is the human spirit speaking to you through its voice and that voice is called the conscience
- A tender and soft conscience makes one sensitive to the voice of the Holy Spirit speaking through the human spirit. So guard your heart, guard your soul, avoid having it contaminated
- Follow the voice of your spirit and train your spirit to hear the word of God
- The closeness of your fellowship with the Holy Spirit allows him to share his thoughts with your spirit
- The inward witness helps alert you to the possibilities of wrong situations or the wrong prophecies being spoken over your life
- Any encounter with the inward witness should always be judged by the standard of the written word of God. Remember we said your soul can be tainted. If your soul is tainted and there is offence in your conscience, you begin to hear the word but it’s distorted and the best way to make sure that it is not distorted is to come back into alignment with God, to take care of bitterness, offence and then you begin to hear the word of God and you judge whatever you are sensing by the authority of the written word of God