Apart from the fact that the tithe belongs to God, there are material benefits to tithing and disadvantages to not tithing. God promises a number of things to those who tithe:
- The Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest (Deuteronomy 14:29)
- When people obey and give tithes, the Levites and priests are well provided for and God blesses His people (2 Chronicles 31:5-10)
- God says …prove me now herewith, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it (Malachi 3: 10).
- He will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field (Malachi 3: 11).
- The tithe is not mine to withhold; it BELONGS to the LORD. “The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof.” Leviticus
27:30, 32 A tithe of everything from the land … BELONGS TO THE LORD; it is holy to the lord…. The entire tithe of the herd
and flock … will be holy to the Lord.
- Tithing is an indicator of our FAITHFULNESS. It’s an opportunity to demonstrate to God your faithfulness and commitment to His work on earth. 2 Chronicles 31:12 Then they FAITHFULLY brought in the contributions, tithes and dedicated gifts.
- Tithing allows God-called ministers to devote themselves fully to the Lord’s work. Numbers 18:21 I give to the LEVITES all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance IN RETURN FOR THE WORK THEY DO while serving at the Tent of Meeting.
- I wouldn’t want to take a chance on God considering me a ROBBER! Malachi 3:8-10 “Will a man ROB GOD? Yet you rob me.” But you ask, ‘How do we rob you?’ “In TITHES AND OFFERINGS. You are under a curse — the whole nation of you — because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you
will not have room enough for it. There are two robberies mentioned here!
- Because God says He wants His “house” to be ABUNDANTLY supplied. Malachi 3: 10. Not meat in your house
but in my house. To finance the activities of the local church.